Allan R. Keyes
Mr. Keyes’ primary area of concentration is in:
APPELLATE PRACTICE/ CIVIL LITIGATION/ PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
Mr. Keyes is a second generation appellate lawyer. Born in Rutland, he attended Rutland public schools. Before going to law school he clerked in the firm, indexing title abstracts, carrying trial bags for R. Joseph O’Rourke and writing a brief that overturned U. S. District Judge James Oakes on a point of procedure: Lapiczak v. Zaist, 451 F.2d 79 (2d Cir. 1971) (trial court after 10 days loses jurisdiction to set aside a verdict on its own initiative).
From 1973-1975 Keyes was law clerk to Hon. Talbot Smith, Senior U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Since 1975, Keyes has briefed and argued hundreds of appeals and motions in Vermont and federal court involving all the firm’s practice areas — perhaps more civil appeals to the Vermont Supreme Court than any other active attorney. Cases include:
- In re Hinesburg Hannaford Act 250 Permit, 2017 VT 106 (Act 250 and subdivision permits)
- Kuligoski v. Brattleboro Retreat, 2016 VT 54A (amicus in case alleging failure to warn about danger of psychiatric patient)
- Labate v. Rutland Hosp., Inc., 2015 VT 128 (medical malpractice).
- Bandler v. Cohen Rosenthal & Kramer, LLP, 2015 VT 115 (legal malpractice).
- Hemond v. Frontier Commc’ns of Am., Inc., 2015 VT 67 (products liability).
- Highridge Condo. Owners Assn. v. Killington/Pico Ski Resort Partners, LLC, 2014 VT 120 (condominium development dispute).
- Choiniere v. Marshall, 2014 VT 117 (commercial dispute, attorney sued by nonclient).
- Vermont Transco LLC v. Town of Vernon, 2014 VT 93A (public utility tax appeal).
- Lasek v. Vermont Vapor, Inc., 2014 VT 33 (fire cause and origin).
- Old R.R. Bed, LLC v. Marcus, 2014 VT 23 (rail-to-trails dispute).
- Madowitz v. Woods at Killington Owners’ Ass’n, Inc., 2014 VT 21(condominium development dispute).
- McCormack v. Rutland Hosp., Inc., 2013 VT 59 (2013) (medical malpractice).
Keyes is a longtime Member of the Vermont Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Civil Rules (Chair 2015 -present). This Committee is responsible for the Vermont Rules of Civil and Appellate Procedure.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Mr. Keyes has received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest “AV” rating.