Vermont Business Lawyers Address All Your Concerns
Reliable guidance for every stage of your business enterprise
Since 1945, Ryan Smith & Carbine, Ltd. has provided quality legal services for businesses in Rutland and throughout Vermont. We work with companies large and small, at all stages of their operations, to help management avoid legal pitfalls and achieve their goals. Our Vermont attorneys have more than 65 years of combined experience in business law. Our firm’s diversity of experience enables us to serve a wide variety of business clients, including financial institutions, healthcare corporations, manufacturers, professional associations, and government entities. Providing reliable advice, transactional services, and management of litigation, we help local, regional and international businesses address their changing needs throughout the business lifecycle.
Trusted business attorneys in Rutland for the lifecycle of your Vermont business
Every business needs an experienced attorney to provide support and guidance for the various aspects of the business at different stages of development. Wherever you are in the life of your business, you can trust our Rutland business attorneys to deliver pertinent advice to help you avoid legal impediments to business success. We regularly assist business of all sizes in matters related to:
- Formation — We help new businesses choose the proper entity for their business model, including sole proprietorship, incorporation, LLC, Sub-S or Sub-C corporation, 501(c)3 nonprofit, or professional partnership. We assist with tax planning, permitting and licensing, land use issues, and filing all necessary paperwork with the state of Vermont.
- Governance — For all matters relating to ownership, our corporate lawyers offer sound guidance. We assist with ownership, partnership and shareholder agreements, corporate bylaws, director and officer liability, and myriad other issues.
- Operations — Smooth business operations require sound contracts, including employment, consulting and non-competition agreements; product sale and licensing arrangements; and leases for real estate and equipment. Your operations must also include robust protection of your proprietary intellectual property. We assist with these and other operations issues.
- Compliance — We provide detailed guidance on the company’s obligations under state and federal regulations. We also provide representation before federal, state and local governmental agencies and commissions when controversies arise.
- Growth — Companies grow through various means, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, asset and stock purchases, franchising, and licensing. We perform due diligence to vet all such transactions. We also facilitate business growth by representing lenders, borrowers and investors in financing and debt restructuring arrangements. Since growth has tremendous tax implications, we provide detailed assistance with tax planning.
- Sale — For some entrepreneurs, the goal is to build a business and sell the company to the highest bidder. We help protect your interests and negotiate a deal on the most favorable terms possible.
- Succession or dissolution — Although corporations can live forever, few of them do. If you want to wind down operations, we can help you do so in a cost-effective manner, preserving as much of your company’s value as possible. Or, if you want to pass a closely held business to a partner or the next generation of ownership, we are prepared to develop a plan that fits your circumstances and achieves your goals.
Even the best, most comprehensive business advice cannot completely eliminate the need for litigation. As your business counsel, we are determined to limit your exposure to litigation that draws resources away from your strategic plan. However, when you need representation in arbitration, mediation, federal or state court, or tax court, we have the resources to manage your case professionally to deliver positive results.
Contact our knowledgeable, experienced business law attorneys today
Ryan Smith & Carbine, Ltd. is a full-service business law firm that provides comprehensive legal assistance to clients throughout the state of Vermont and in eastern New York. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys, call 802-786-1000 or contact our office online.