Rutland Business Lawyers Help You Mind Your Business
Knowledgeable advice on formation, growth, development and succession
Although businesses in Rutland and the vicinity include some large employers, most notably Rutland Regional Medical Center, General Electric Aircraft Engines, Green Mountain Power and Casella Waste Systems, the backbone of the local economy is made up of small businesses. These privately owned and closely held companies often operate on the margins of profitability, where a legal dispute, a contract issue, or a liability judgment could be devastating. Fortunately, Ryan Smith & Carbine, Ltd. is available to deliver quality legal services focused on effective and timely solutions. When you require reliable legal advice at any stage of your business operation or need dedicated representation for a business dispute, you can trust Ryan Smith & Carbine as Vermonters have done since 1945.
Business formation in Rutland, VT
If you are thinking of opening a business in Rutland or relocating a business here, our business lawyers can help you with every crucial step, including:
- Choice of entity — We can help you establish your business as a sole proprietorship, LLC, general partnership, limited partnership, mutual benefit enterprise, nonprofit corporation, or another form that suits your mission.
- Business planning — Having a formal business plan makes it much easier to attract investors, lenders, and executive talent. We draft and review business plans for business enterprises of all sizes.
- Ownership agreements — To get your business started on the right foot, we draft agreements between partners or shareholders, depending on your business model.
- Taxation planning — The entity you choose, as well as the assets you acquire, have a profound impact on your tax liability. Let us help you take prudent steps to preserve your company’s resources.
- Permits and land use — We help businesses get the clearance necessary to operate in Vermont and in local municipalities.
- Employment issues — We advise on compliance issues to prevent disputes with employees from arising. We also draft employee handbooks that clearly state company policies.
- Regulatory compliance — Our knowledgeable attorneys make sure you are fully informed of your responsibilities under state and federal law in various areas, such as financial reporting, workers’ safety, and the environment.
We continue to be available to our clients once their businesses are established, providing cogent advice on operations and strategic planning.
Skilled oversight of business transactions in Vermont
Our attorneys perform a full range of contract services to protect your interests in your business transactions. We develop, draft, and review contracts related to:
- Sales of goods and services
- Real estate sales
- Leases of real estate
- Leases of equipment
- Loans and lines of credit
- Employment and severance
- Intellectual property licensing
- Insurance coverage
When business contracts are involved, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure. Do not wait until there’s a problem with a contract to consult a reputable Vermont business lawyer.
Business succession plans for closely held companies in Rutland
Closely held businesses need succession plans, especially as owners prepare for retirement. We work closely with business proprietors to develop exit plans that:
- Provide retirement income
- Place new ownership in a position to succeed
- Maintain business good will
If you have a family business you’d like to pass on to your heirs, it’s never too early to consider succession planning.
Succession planning is also important in a partnership. If a partnership goes sour, there are steps you can take, such as a leveraged buyout, to keep the company operating. But first, partners must decide who stays and who exits and how intellectual property is to be distributed. These are potentially complex issues that require capable management.
Finally, a closely held business should have contingencies in place for the death or disability of a key owner. We take a close look at your business’s circumstances and craft an appropriate plan for all stakeholders.
Contact an established Rutland, VT law firm for comprehensive legal services
Ryan Smith & Carbine, Ltd. is a full-service law firm providing Vermont businesses with personal attention and reliable counsel on a wide range of issues. Our Rutland, Vermont office is conveniently located at 98 Merchants Row. To schedule a consultation, call us today at 802-786-1000 or contact us online. We also have an office in Glens Falls, New York.